1. I still start posts with “Wow. How do I start this?”. Beginnings aren’t always easy. Writers know this. Sometimes your beginning unfolds at the end of the story. I think that’s pretty awesome- writers are time travelers. I thought about saying writers invented time travel but I dare not upset scientists for the sake of a joke. I rang in 2014 with friends I loved- we broke plates and danced and laughed and promised this year we’d leave the crappiest parts of 2013 behind, frolic and flourish like no year before. Well…. we did do all that …eventually but I don’t think we knew just how different 2014 was going to end from how it started. Still, with how amazing it is for me right now, in this moment- as I write this post with a little over 6 hours left in the year- I think we brought in this year in the best style. I look back at pictures from the past 365 1/4 days and I am content.
2. I tweeted this year: “I think I’ll end up with a writer” because some spirit passed through me telling me that. I’m now engaged to a Mr. Daniel José Older who ain’t too bad a writer, if I do say so myself. His first novel comes out in a week. I’ll be with him when that happens. I’m excited (a feeling I’ve had a lot lately), humbled, nervous and proud.
Words have power. That was the point of this. 🙂
3. I’ve found that I like the idea of escaping. I love home- well, some elements I could do without- but sometimes I need a break- an impulsive, temporary respite in which I can release then recharge. This year I found that it’s possible to escape from home to another place that ends up feeling like home. I take comfort in that. Home is where the heart it, yes, but the heart transcends time and place, just like great writing.
“I think you travel to search and you come back home to find yourself there.”
― Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
4. So I didn’t write as much wanted to at the start of the year. I have come to terms with the fact that that is OKAY! I published 32 new posts this year and that may not be a lot but…..
This is my 100th post! My centesimal! Owww! Cheers to that!
WordPress sent me a progress report of my year of blogging and three of my top five posts in popularity were from 2013. They said that meant my posts had staying power or something. I first took it to mean that my 2014 posts weren’t that hot. But that wasn’t the point for me when writing them, especially the ones that meant the most to me, so why was it a thought now? I smile knowing that I don’t pressure myself as much anymore when it comes to putting my words out there and I don’t stress TOO MUCH about how they are received. I’m doing better and I’m happy about that.
5. I did not start this post intending to connect everything back to writing. I’ve actually forgotten what exactly I was going to put on this list but in the spirit of reflection and and progress, I’ll go with the flow and leave off with some advice based on some of the advice I’ve gotten and lessons I’ve learnt this year- apply it to your writing or any other goal you have:
- There’s no better time to start than now (unless, of course, you are in labour or in some other physical situation which requires your focus to be elsewhere).
- But if you don’t start now, that’s not the end of the world.
- Forgive yourself. It’s time we stop crippling ourselves with self-inflicted mental lashings.
- Your work does not suck as bad as you think.
- Even if it does, this is just your first draft. First drafts are rarely, if ever, perfect/masterpieces. That’s why we have our villages/communities/tribes- to help us get to the finished product.
- You are not alone. You have a community. You belong to a tribe. Just look up, reach out. They’re waiting to welcome you.
- Trying is worth it. Even if you don’t finish it the way or when you thought you would, or at all (*coughs* Blogging everyday til my birthday *coughs), that’s prime time to practice forgiveness. Trying is worth it.
See you on the other side of 2015, lovelies! Be safe! Be happy!
Until next post!
ItsNasB on Twitter: https://twitter.com/itsnasb
itsnasb on IG: http://instagram.com/itsnasb
itsnasb on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ItsNasB
itsnasb on Tumblr: http://itsnasb.tumblr.com/
itsnasb on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ItsNasB
itsnasb on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/itsnasb/